Monday 14 August 2006

Richard Hufton's Lands End to John O'Groats

Thursday 3rd August to Sunday 12th August 2006
in aid of
British Heart Foundation
National Autistic Society
Cancer Research UK
Hi. My name is Richard Hufton and in August 2006 I cycled from Lands End to John o Groat's for three charities - the British Heart Foundation, the National Autistic Society and Cancer Research UK. The challenge was to do 1,000 miles in 10 days or thereabouts.
Why?
I needed a challenge and as I'd done a fair bit of cycling in the past what better challenge than cycling form Lands End to John O'Groats (LEJoG)! For the past 5 or 6 years I'd completed the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride (Wetherby to Filey - 70 miles) and raised money for that events nominated charities but this year I felt I needed something more challenging. Hence LEJoG.
As ever though, I felt the need to raise money for charity as everyone I knew had come to expect my annual badgering for sponsorship. This time I was on my own though! Not only had I decided I was going to arrange accomodation, trains, etc. I had determined that all monies raised would go to charity and none of it would be used to finance the trip. Which charity to choose though? I'm sure all charities are equally worthy so how did I decide? I didn't fancy raising money for only one charity either. Where's the parity in that? Anyway, eventually three charities were selected on this basis:-
  • British Heart Foundation - my dad died of a heart attack at the age of 62
  • National Autistic Society - my nephew is severely autistic
  • Cancer Research UK - no particular reason. I just know it can be a bit of a sod and I thought people might be happy to donate to it!

Fitness History

Like most people I used to cycle as a boy. I was always quite keen on fitness but it wasn't until I moved to London that I realised I could get to work more quickly on a bike! From Crouch End in North East London to Barons Court in South West about 40 minutes on a bike, 1 hour on the tube and up to 2 hours by car! No contest! However, when I moved back to Leeds a few years later I didn't touch a bike for ages. Aged about 30 though I decided to get back into it. I owned a series of cheap racers; a Raleigh Quasar, followed by a Raleigh Record Sprint, a Raleigh R200 and finally a Trek 1400.

Generally speaking I need a challenge to get me active or I'd turn into a couch potato. Between 2000 and 2006 I completed the Great Yorkshire Bike Ride, raising over £3,000. I'd also competed in the Leed Half Marathon a couple of times and Kirkstall Abbey Dash. I am also qualified as a personal trainer and used to run circuit classes 3 times a week at a college where I was employed and dabbled in boxing and kick-boxing.

Lands End to John o Groat's is an ambition harboured by many. It was first cycled about 1880. The record is held by Andy Wilkinson who in 1990 cycled the 874 miles in 1 day, 21 hours, 2 minutes and 18 seconds! Pauline Strong (well she'd have to be wouldn't she?) holds the women's record - 2 days, 6 hours, 49 minutes and 45 seconds!

No comments:

Post a Comment