Wednesday 9 August 2006

Day 7

Ayr to Oban
Distance: 99.42

Average: 12.4

Maximum: 33.0

Duration: 8:01:13

Cumulative: 777.30

I was up and away early as I had no breakfast to consume and I had a ferry to catch - the 9:45 from Ardrossan to Brodick. My route took me via Arran. This would avoid Glasgow, which according to other LEJoG accounts is a bit of a nightmare.

I went back to the A77 and headed north and joined the A78. Blimey, this was a busy road and not too pleasant a day. By the time I'd got to the outskirts of Irvine I'd had enough of playing with the traffic on the dual carriageways so I cycled through Irvine, then Kilwinning and on to Ardrossan. I bought my ticket, took my place at the head of the queue and waited to be allowed on board. This was a part of the journey I had especially looked forward to. I'd always wanted to visit a Scottish island but as yet hadn’t. One of my original plans (there were many!) was to go via Arran, Mull and Skye but I had to abandon that idea as it would have been a nightmare co-ordinating accommodation with ferry times and mileage, and absolutely nothing to do with the fact that my average daily mileage for the last five days would increase to 125!

Ferry - Ardrossan to Brodick


Once on board I went down to tie my bike up as directed by an attendant. Just as I'd finished and was about to walk off a pair of policemen came on board and tied their bikes up also! Well I kid you not when I say that one of these policeman was at least 6 feet 10 tall and weighed, I reckoned, at least 20 stone! A very heavy police presence all on his own! From a distance policeman two looked minute but when they got close he was no tiddler either!

Anyway by this time I was a bit peckish to say the least. Not having eaten since about yesterday lunch time I was ready to devour the entire contents of the restaurant. Gone were my ideas of staring out to sea and watching the mainland disappear and Arran arrive. My empty stomach took precedence. The ensuing grub was probably the best English breakfast I have ever tasted. I was tempted to get another but resisted as the lure of watching the waves was too strong. I went outside. Portside in fact! It was blowing a hurricane! I was determined however that I was going to stay on deck. I made my way to the rear of the ship to have that promised look at the mainland. As I rounded the corner the bulk of the ship turned the wind right down.

Stone the crows! Who was this solitary figure in front of me? Another behemoth! This one was famous! I won't mention his name but he was in the country of his birth, could be described as "Crackers" and his initials are RC! Just him and me at the stern! Marvellous! What, with him and the policeman on board I was contemplating spending the rest of the trip keeping my eye on their relative positions so that I could manoeuvre my rapidly disappearing 15 stone frame strategically so that we wouldn't capsize. I soon realised this was going to be futile so I relaxed and enjoyed Arran’s intriguing outline gradually dominate the horizon.

Alighting from the boat I passed the cars queuing to exit Brodick harbour and headed north on the cost road to Lochranza. This is a very nice route going through lovely villages, isolated inlets and a mountain pass.

Mountain in Arran - Beinn Bhiorach perhaps!


I arrived at Lochranza with an hour to spare. A welcome break for my ankle! This ferry stop was a lot smaller than the previous two. When the ferry turned up it was tiny in comparison to the monster I’d been on earlier! Once on board I headed for the top and for the third time in the day enjoyed the rare luxury of putting my feet up.

Arran from Claonaig


Once back on dry land I cycled up the B8001, joined the A83 and headed for Tarbet! I was still hungry so I stopped at a local supermarket and bought pies, an apple, banana, chocolate and of course milk and had lunch overlooking Tarbet Harbour.

Tarbet harbour


I continued up the A83 to Lochgilphead and then took the A816 towards Oban. The changeable weather on this day could do nothing to take away the splendour of this route. One minute a loch on the right, the next the sea on the left, and up and down through wooded passes. My dodgy ankle meant that my riding style up hills was slightly altered. Usually I’m out of the saddle, rocking from side to side but with my iffy ankle I found it more comfortable to remain seated for all but the fiercest inclines.

Loch Melfort (I think!)


Because of the ferry times I arrived at Oban Youth Hostel quite late. I decided not to bother going out for food again that night as I’d eaten loads during the day! The room I was in had great views over Oban harbour! By this time my ankle was quite swollen and I suppose I was at a bit of a low point as I realised that it certainly wasn’t going to get any better during the course of this trip! Still it should last for three more days!

Oban Youth Hostel

No comments:

Post a Comment