Monday 7 August 2006

Day 5

Slaidburn to Bassenthwaite

Distance 87.98

Average: 11.7

Maximum: 38.7

Duration: 7:28:59

Cumulative: 563.79

The only food I carried with me during the course of the trip was a packet of porridge oats and some decaf coffee. To set me up for today I had cold porridge with water and a black decaf coffee. Yummy!

In a way today was a bit special. I was going to meet up with my eldest daughter, Heather, at Bassenthwaite Sailing Club. I hadn't seen her for 2 months as she had been an au pair in Austria during the summer. She was accompanying my ex, her mum, on a week at the sailing club. An event they have there every year.

I left Slaidburn on a minor road to High Bentham. It looked like being another sunny day! I live in Leeds and this has always been one part of the country I had always wanted to visit but it was always overlooked in favour of the Dales and the Lakes. After cycling through here I decided that this was a bit unfair!

Looking back towards Slaidburn


I was cycling up a very long hill (again!). In the distance I could see a lone figure walking up the road. As I drew nearer I could see that he was dressed in everyday clothes but with a hooded top. (but he certainly wasn't a "Hoodie") I was convinced I approached him with the stealth of a fox yet he said "Hello", without turning his head when I was about 5 metres away! "Hello", I responded back and continued slogging up the hill. There had been no cars for miles before and there were no cars for miles afterwards and there wasn't a single dwelling in sight! Where had he come from? Where was he going? As I got to the top of the hill I could still see this solitary walker in the distance! Was it the ghost of the Forest of Bowland, a lost local, or was I hallucinating? Very strange!

Looking back down large hill! Mystery man is on the second stretch of road (Honest!)


I continued to High Bentham, through Ingleton and took a minor road to Dent.

Waterfalls on road to Dent


I bought some food from the store in Dent and ate the best food (ham salad sandwich!) I'd had since I'd set off! I was visiting Dent as my old fellows tribute picnic table is in the car park there. I'd heard that this bench may not be there anymore but it was. I had to wait around for about half an hour to get to it as some workmen were enjoying their lunch in the sun. I could wait no longer so I ambled over and got chatting to them. A couple of photo's and a donation later I had the table to myself.

Adam Sedgwick Memorial, Geologist, Centre of Dent


Old fellow's bench, Dent


Plaque on bench

From Dent I took the road to Sedbergh. I then took the A684 and headed to Kendal. I turned off just before Kendal and headed to Oxenhope and then Natland and eventually worked my way to Lumley Fee, just above Brigsteer. This is where the theatre group I'm involved with (Leeds Art Theatre) come for their annual residential. There are outstanding views across the valley. To the west you can see the coast and the east the Lake District mountains.

Lumley Fee

After a nice rest here, reluctantly I mounted up again and headed through Brigsteer, Underbarrow and Crook. I then took the B5284 to Windermere and the A592 to Bowness. The Lake District is a bit of an old stomping ground . I've spent many holidays up its mountains and it's always great to return. I continued up through Ambleside, Grasmere and up Dunmail Raise.

Rydal Water


I took the road to the west of Thirlmere and followed the A591 in to Keswick and then the A66 along Bassenthwaite Lake. Turning on to the B5291 I arrived at Bassenthwaite Sailing Club to be met by Heather.

Eldest offspring in front of my luxurious accomodation

I pitched my tent very close to the lake and enjoyed a couple of beers by an outside fire and then a couple more in the clubhouse. The place was heaving! There must be more to this sailing lark than I first thought! I half wished I could stay there a few more days. It really did make me question myself! Why was I doing this blinking ride when I could be relaxing with a few beers! Anyway I retired to my tent quite late with these thoughts! What the heck though? It had been a comparatively easy day and I was half way there!

No comments:

Post a Comment