Thursday 10 August 2006

Day 8

Oban to Loch Ness

Distance: 86.58

Average: 13.4

Maximum: 30.4

Duration: 6:26:54

Cumulative: 863.88

The previous evening, in the absence of anything else, I ordered what was described as a "mini" breakfast. I didn't know what to expect but the word "mini" wasn't encouraging! I was however pleasantly surprised when I was presented with a box of museli, a yoghurt, two breadcakes, jam, butter and milk.

Off I went, up the A85 to Connel and turned left on to the A828. I arrived at the junction with the A82 and realised I probably needed to be up on the bridge to my left. I resisted the temptation to carry my bike up the steel steps at the foot of the bridge and cycled round. No cheating on this trip! Although the bridge itself wasn’t particularly attractive, a steel affair, the views to either side were spectacular.

View from South Ballachulish Bridge, West
View from South Ballachulish Bridge, East


Onwards and up towards Fort William. I didn't particularly enjoy this stretch of road. It was quite narrow and at times I felt like I was been a bit of a nuisance to the traffic. I shouldn’t feel like that I know but there you go!

There were quite a few cyclists loaded up to the hilt with panniers front and rear, handlebar bags and saddle bags heading towards me! John o' Groats to Lands End perhaps? Whenever I saw these very heavily laden cyclists I often questioned my lack of gear. However it was always my intention to travel as light as possible and I never felt I wanted for anything.

As ever when I'm cycling I like to have some idea of what’s behind me so I frequently glance over my shoulder. I usually do this without any problems! However somewhere between Oban and Fort William I did this and when I turned back to the front again I found myself in the grass verge. For about 10 heart stopping metres I was heading over rough grass and it was only by the grace of god that I ended up, still in the saddle, back on the road with no damage to me or Mr Trek!

I arrived at Fort William to a familiar sight! Tesco's! They get everywhere! Time to stock up with the usual pies, apples, bananas, chocolate and milk. That was lunch! For my evening meal I bought a tin of beans, a tin of luncheon meat and a couple of breadcakes! Yuk, but tinned food won’t get squashed in my bag!

Lunch stop, Fort William

I turned left out of Fort William on the A830 with the intention of turning right up the B8004 to take the back road to Spean Bridge. There was a right turn within about half a mile. After looking at the map and dithering around for a while I couldn't determine if this was the B8004 or not. I didn't want to risk cycling up this road or continue along the A830 for fear I might take a wrong turn so I retraced my steps back to the A82 and headed for Spean Bridge on the shorter but busier route.

Three Commando's Memorial, near Spean Bridge

I continued up this road eventually arriving at Fort Augustus. I was relatively early so I spent almost an hour watching boats of varying quality and size negotiating their way into and out of the lochs. It had turned into a really warm afternoon and I was totally at peace with the world.

Loch at Fort Augustus

Cycling on - it was time for some Nessie hunting! I didn't have a boat equipped with sonar but I did have a digital camera with a zoom lens and a wild imagination! Surely a sighting of some description would ensue in the next 12 hours or so!

Loch Ness Monster parhaps?


Waterfalls at Invermoriston

I continued on the road until I reached the youth hostel at Alltsigh. The youth hostel was in a great location overlooking the loch! I was sleeping in the annexe and again I had a room to myself! Talk about luxury! I cooked my grub and relaxed with the other hostellers in a cosy atmosphere overlooking the loch and gave my ankle a well earned rest!

Spot the difference!

Only two days to go! I was getting used to this way of living and wasn't really looking forward to the end!

View over Loch Ness from Hostel

No comments:

Post a Comment