Sunday 6 August 2006

Day 4

Clun to Slaidburn

Distance: 148.43

Average: 14.6

Maximum: 45.6

Duration: 10:09:59

Cumulative: 475.81

I couldn't get to sleep last night. Partly due to the snoring orchestra and partly due to my own excitement! I found myself laughing out loud and having to stifle my laughter. I was feeling high and extremely pleased with myself for some reason!

Despite the sleepless night I was up early and away for 7:30. In my mind today was always going to be a bit of a hurdle. It was going to be by far the longest day and I reckoned once I'd got this out of the way the rest of the journey would be a piece of cake.

I had this section of the CTC YHA route so decided to try and follow this. I set off up the A488 towards Bishops Castle, turned right and followed the minor roads towards Norbury and then Ratlinghope. I then turned left and followed the road through Habberley, Pontesbury, Hinton, Lea, Nox, Ford, Yeaton and Baschurch. From Baschurch I continued on the minor roads through Westoncommon, Lower Hordley, Lee and Ellesmere. I stopped by The Mere in Ellesmere for a while and admired the view. I'd stopped here a couple of times before on journeys to Wales and I remembered the place with affection. Arriving by bicycle did not disappoint. It was a glorious day and I would quite happily have tarried a little longer but Slaidburn called. So after a quick chat with another cyclist I was off on my merry way!

The Mere, Ellesmere


Up the A529 to Olveston and then the B5069 through Bangor is y Coed and on to Worthenbury. I then turned left and headed to Farndon and took the B5130 towards Aldford. On turning right at Aldford I found myself on a newly surface road still covered with loose grit. Once the new surface returned to the old I stopped and quickly checked that my tyres had no pieces of grit embedded in them! They hadn't but to my horror the rear tyre that had looked so robust in Leeds was now a shadow of its former self. (A bit like me on arrival at John o Groat's). Stringy bits were showing through! What was I to do? I couldn't take a chance that these tyres would last all the way to John o' Groats. I needed to get them changed and quickly. On consulting my list of cycle shops that I had the foresight to bring with me I discovered that there were a couple in Warrington and one in Chorley. I'd head towards them and give 'em a ring when I was nearer. I continued on through Bruera, Waverton, Guilden Sutton and on to the A56. I rechecked my tyres! Nope, the heat of the day hadn't miraculously melted the rubber and reformed the perfect tyre. I was certainly going to have to ring around! It was Sunday! I didn't hold out much hope! After a couple of calls with no reply a fellow cyclist noticed me on the phone and came to offer assistance. He told me of a cycle shop in Frodsham a few miles further away which he reckoned might be open. I wasn't so sure. Wracking my brains I realised Halfords might be my saviour. "Any of those in the vicinity?" "Yes", he told me, "On the A49 just north of Warrington". Fantastic. The cycle shop in Frodsham was closed but I took the opportunity to fill up with milk. Halfords wasn't. Two tyres fitted within half an hour and off on my way. Thank you Halfords and thanks to the scouser who cycled to his mums in Kendal on a Trek similar to mine for stopping and helping me out!

Earlier in the day I was undecided whether to follow the YHA route which wriggled around the Manchester metrolopis or take the more direct A49 route. My dodgy tyre determined that. Up through Ashton, Wigan and then the B5251 to Chorley. Chorley, I concluded was a strange place! Some lads passed me in a car and shouted "banker"! Well with all this internet banking and such I haven't had call to visit a financial institution for a while but I guess their staff must dress as cyclists in these parts!

I continued on the A674 towards Blackburn. By this time it was chucking it down. Still it's only water and it enabled me to try my new waterproof on! (It turned out to be excellent!) After crossing the M65 I took the A675 towards Preston. My intention was to take a side road and head through to Longbridge and then follow the minor roads to Slaidburn. I don't know what happened but I couldn't see any side roads and before I knew it I was passing under the M6 (again)! I took the B6230 out of Preston and joined the A59. This time passing over the M6!

The M6! (Criss-crossed this more times than I should have today!)


Time was getting on and it was still chucking it down. I didn't fancy getting lost so I decided to go straight along the A59 to Clitheroe. I then took the B6478 to Slaidburn. By this time the rain had abated and I had quite a nice but very hilly ride to Slaidburn.

Slaidburn Youth Hostel (pictured the following morning!)


I was pleased to arrive there as I was soaked through but I didn't actually feel that tired! I had no opportunity to buy any food en route so I bought a couple of tins and cooked a meal. The hostel was pretty quiet and I had a room all to myself! Surely a good nights sleep would ensue! Luxury!

No comments:

Post a Comment